Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) approach for children, adolescents, and adults
- Treatment for anxiety, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, behavioral problems, and social concerns
- Educational testing for accommodations on standardized testing (SAT, ACT, GREs, etc.)
- Psychological testing for concerns about attention, behavior, relationships, social skills, mood, problem solving, cognitive functioning, learning, executive functioning, memory, independent living skills, and mental health.
- Assessments for Autism and Developmental Disabilities (Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule Second Edition, ADOS-2)
Dr. Lauren Carter joined ACES in 2016. Prior to ACES, Dr. Carter began her career as an elementary school teacher in Charlotte, NC. To acquire more experience working with students facing behavior issues and their parents, she earned a master’s degree in Applied Developmental Psychology from the Harvard Graduate School of Education. During this program, she focused on developing trauma-sensitive discipline strategies for elementary-school children. Next, Dr. Carter earned her PhD from the Clinical and School Psychology at the University of Virginia. As a doctoral student, she primarily worked with children and pre-adolescents across multiple environments, including school, an outpatient center, and an in-patient state hospital.
Dr. Carter’s time at ACES is split between conducting psychological assessments and delivering therapy services. She administers a wide variety of assessment measures to help make sense of a child, adolescent, or adult’s behavior (ADOS-2, NEPSY-II, D-KEFS, Rorschach with R-PAS scoring, etc.). She is licensed as a school psychologist through the VA Dept. of Education.
Dr. Carter takes an active role in local and state organizations that promote antiracism efforts. Along with Dr. Lemite and Ms. Warner, she helps lead the ACES Aligned & United for Black Lives group. She is also a board member for the RISE Foundation in Waynesboro, VA (https://riseorg2018.com/rise-
- B.A. Elementary Education & Linguistics, College of William and Mary, 2006
- Ed.M. Risk & Prevention, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 2009
- M.Ed. Educational Psychology, UVA, 2011
- Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, UVA, 2016
- VDOE-licensed School Psychologist
- VDOE-licensed Classroom Teacher for PreK-6